Monday, October 17, 2011

An Understatement...'glad to be home'

Hi friends.

Another field season done and I can't even begin to describe how happy I am to be back home.This one was a doozy. The first half of the season went amazingly smooth considering how nightmarish the logistics of this particular study were. Then 'the event' happened and everything just seemed to go downhill from there. The first ni
ght after taking the elk back into the field, J had to go to the emergency room when he slipped down a rocky slope carrying the water pump and crushed his finger. I use that word correctly here. Crushed...as in what happens when you take a hammer to a grape. (He's okay...was stitched up and given instructions to keep it clean [HA...HA HA HA] and it has healed albeit with no feeling in the tip of his finger). This was the high point of that final session if you can believe it. Quite telling is my reaction, when, 15 miles from having the elk back safely at the end of the season, something blew into my windshield and shattered it. I couldn't even muster the energy to be angry or upset...instead, the only thought that managed to go through my numb brain was 'How fitting'.

But it's done and I am finally home and recuperating. And beyond what I have written above, I really don't want to relive anything that happened this summer. But, as you can see, I am willing to share just a few pictures I managed to squeeze in between data collection bouts...these are the good memories!

As is typical, it will take me some time to decompress and to get back into the swing of things. I've been home for only 3 days but have already started to cook again (this is important after eating fried egg sandwiches and pasta with canned sauce EVERY DAY for months on end...15 pounds lighter, I'm itching for other tastes!). I haven't yet picked up my needles but hope the desire to knit returns soon. And while I've been 'pinning' away some recipes since I'm even more food obsessed than normal (see note above!), I haven't been able to face blogs yet.

So I'm asking for your help. For the sake of my sanity, I need to 'mark as read' all blog posts so that reentry into blogland isn't quite so overwhelming. But I also don't want to miss all the craftiness, the thoughts, the activities of you all over the past 5 months or so. I would love if each of you posted a link or two (or more if you've been busy!) in the comments to blog posts you want me to read. Either a project you are especially proud of completing, a post that you think will speak to me either with the words or the pictures, or a vacation/outing that you think I'd enjoy reading about. I'll make a point to visit each of those and then I'll be starting afresh.

_____

Now playing: Say Goodbye by Girlyman


.

16 comments:

Ann said...

Nice to have you back & thanks for those amazing photos. I have not been blogging much so you have not missed much.

lauren said...

I'm so glad you're back safe and sound! Those are some truly amazing pictures and stories. As for me, don't worry about catching up - nothing out of the ordinary has been going on! Just hit mark as read and look to the future. :)

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Welcome home! I hope you are resting and have something simple and delicious in the oven or on the stove right now. I'll make catch up easy for you: http://chezdanisse.blogspot.com/2011/10/back-in-saddle.html

melissa said...

welcome home!!!!!
it is so wonderful to have your presence back in blogland. i hope that you are able to rest and relax and just enjoy being home.
sending you a giant welcome home hug!

the sandwich has been relatively quiet - but we just got back from portugal for claire's wedding! linds and i are in the midst of sorting through photos for some tag-team travel posts. the first two of which are up...

http://knittingsandwich.typepad.com/sandwich/2011/10/european-sandwich-the-amsterdam-layover-.html

http://knittingsandwich.typepad.com/sandwich/2011/10/european-sandwich-lisbon.html

and again - welcome back!! i've missed you and am so glad you're home!!

Jacey said...

I'm so glad you're home! It sounds like a very rough few months for you, and hopefully, you'll have some time to rest and re-adjust to home life. I think of you often, and I'm glad you're getting back to "normal", whatever that is. ;)

So, some links: first, my flickr pets set, so you can see some happy kitties to cheer you up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaceycraft/sets/72157604164115277/
A peach cake you'll love: http://jaceycraft.blogspot.com/2011/09/upside-down-spiced-peach-cake.html
A mini-quilt I made for my mom: http://jaceycraft.blogspot.com/2011/08/fo-moms-mini-geese.html


I would love to chat with you once you're settled! xoxo

Bubblesknits said...

Oh hon. (((huge hugs))) Nothing terribly interesting going on here. To summarize: We moved into the new office, Drama Llama is loving cheerleading, Karate Kid is now Boy Scout and enjoying that, and I've joined Weight Watchers to bring down my weight (and in the process, hopefully my blood pressure & cholesterol, too). There lies the last few months. LOL I'm a party animal I tell ya!

kate said...

Ah Rachel, you have been missed. I'm sad that your summer was a bummer, glad that you are home and recuperating. Appreciative that you always share such beautiful photos with us.

I wouldn't know where to begin on the blog, so no worries. Although for two (that's right, two) wonderful Chika pictures, you can check out this post: http://0521kt.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/thanksgiving-coastal-style/

knittergal said...

Welcome back! It sounds like it was not an easy summer for you! Hope you can get some rest and recovery time and enjoy the comforts of home.

Rue said...

So glad to hear you're back. Thanks for sharing your good moments. As always, the pictures are stunning.

I've been posting here and there - nothing momentous. Take a look at my latest (http://tinksandfrogs.blogspot.com/2011/10/fo-another-purple-sweater.html) for some good baby pics and helpful sweater math. And you can just scroll through the math to get to the last tadpole shot.

ponyknit said...

I am glad that you are home and safe. How fitting... so true.

I just logged back into google reader after a break, in pefect timing, for your post of course!

cauchy09 said...

Sorry I'm late arriving over here for your homecoming. So glad you're back and I hope you feel better soon. Remember that knitting can be good therapy sometimes. {{hugs}}

kristieinbc said...

Welcome home! I am sorry your field season was so traumatic. Hopefully you will feel like knitting soon - there's a lot of healing that can happen with the needles!

I am linking to one of my posts about my trip to England, Scotland and Luxembourg. This is from one of the days I was walking the Cateran Trail in Perthshire, Scotland.
http://journeynorthof49.blogspot.com/2011/09/knackered.html

Jane said...

Welcome home! I think you probably read my Jackson Hole posts. Wish we lived closer so you could talk to my boys about it and all that you do. I think our trip this summer was life changing for them. Rest and ease your way back into blogland. We will be here waiting.

Carrie#K said...

Those are some beautiful pictures though! Have you found any good recipes yet?

Nothing to catch up on my blog, so no worries there.

Kathy said...

well, I'll be a bit selfish and recommend my own post...

http://work-in-progress.typepad.com/work-in-progress/2011/10/mystery-proposal-fo-.html

I am sorry it has been a tough summer and hope that are able to recover your joy.

Phoe said...

Take care of you.