Wednesday, January 11, 2012

FO: Elijah the third (for Julian)

Even though I had already made an Otto for Julian, I couldn't resist whipping up an Elijah as well. I love these little elephants more than is probably normal. However, as I was cussing knitting through the last few appendages, I wondered if maybe I could have done one this Christmas and the other for next Christmas. You know, spread out the love before I started losing ideas of what to make a baby that doesn't involve clothes they will grow out of. Once knit though, I couldn't not give it to him (cuz you know, if I kept it even with good intentions, it is likely Julian would never see it...I never want to give these little guys up). Besides, I've got some more ideas up my sleeves for future gifts...

There is really nothing more to be said about this pattern that I already haven't said here and here. After I knit Otto, Rue asked me to convince her that toys were actually fun to knit (as opposed to annoyingly fiddly) as she was deciding on a baby vest or a toy for a future project. They are fiddly...there is no denying that. But I think they get less fiddly the more I knit them. Either I know what to expect so am more prepared for it or my continued fascination with the pattern overrides any (or most) irritation I feel at double pointed needles going everywhere! Or maybe a little bit of both. I also think that because so many people shy away from knitting toys, they are a unique gift that will last for years. (by the way, it sounds like I convinced her to knit a toy!).

One final comment on Otto versus Elijah (it's embarrassing how much I love this photo of my two knitted toys together!). Julian is only a hair over 4 months old right now. I know nothing about babies, but he seems to be just starting that phase where he is showing awareness of things put in front of him. And he is grabbing onto items that he can get his fingers around. For that reason, I think Elijah works better for him because the size I knit has appendages small enough that he can grasp them. Otto is too big and will likely stay on the sidelines until Julian gets a bit older (and his hands grow).

Deets on my Ravelry projects page as usual.

_ _ _ _ _

Now playing: Unsophisticated Heart by Joe Pug

(another amazing one from Mel)


8 comments:

aknitter said...

Indescribably adorable!!!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Julian looks like he likes his new friend. So sweet.

kate said...

Oh that last picture!!!!!

My verdict on toys is that I don't mind the knitting, it's the sewing up after I don't enjoy. But they are so sweet in the end.

melissa said...

you are definitely the queen of elephant-knitting!

but i'll agree with kate - it's the last picture that is the winner. little julian is just too cute with his new friend.

Jacey said...

So cute! I share your love for the picture of Otto and Elijah together. And Julian is getting so big!

kristieinbc said...

I thought Otto was the cutest thing ever when you knit him, but I have to say he has some pretty stiff competition from Elijah!

Kathy said...

i love elijah! I keep saying I'm going to knit it, but I haven't yet. i like the green color

cmvs said...

my goodness- Otto, Elijah and baby Julian--- can you get any more adorable than that combination? Adore your knits, admire your toy-making (all the seaming always turns me away) and love your post!