Thursday, February 23, 2012

Friday: 3 Weeks in Review (!)

I've been slow to return online. Mostly because I've been swamped and feeling quite overwhelmed...I tend to stay away from the internets when I'm in that state of mind. Hopefully soon I'll catch up. In the meantime...

Technically not 3 weeks in review (and not technically Friday yet...minor details) since I did very little but work for at least half of that time! But here we go...

Making me happy this week:

getting to work in the Bitterroot Valley (a beautiful but very grueling place!)...a reunion of sorts with colleagues/friends during a capture at Mt. St. Helens...a strenuous, muddy walk with a friend working out life's frustrations...trying this week (and being successful for once) at taking things day to day and being present

Crafting: I took a much needed day off between captures and part of that day was spent cleaning my craft space up. It had become a disaster area. Organizing makes me happy but it also got some creative ideas flowing. I may not have time now to work on anything but I got a lot of ideas down on paper to remember when I do have more time.

I also cast off Stripe Study which is blocking as we speak...worked on a special knit...and made strides on a challenge with Jacey

In the Kitchen:
  • tried this recipe as a Valentine dessert...J loved it so overall a win, but I was so-so about it. I'm a bit odd...I love citrus but on it's own. Lemon desserts are great but I don't tend to like the flavor mixed with berries. I almost didn't add in the zest knowing this but decided to stick to the recipe.
  • made Heidi's Broccoli Gribiche from Super Natural Every Day. EXCELLENT (even though I didn't have shallots or capers on hands so didn't include those...and used red potatoes cuz that's what I had).
  • My new go to lunch is quinoa topped with a fried egg and sauteed spinach with a sprinkling of parmesan...or quinoa topped with fried beans/chickpeas, sauteed spinach, jalapenos, and a sprinkling of parmesan. See a pattern anyone?
Reading/Listening/Watching: Ungulate of the Week:

From the Mt. St. Helens capture--luckily the temperature had dropped below freezing...she was in a swamp and we would have been sinking down into inches of mud and water to get to her otherwise!

Around the web:
  • ran into all kinds of inspiration this week to make me want to uncover my sewing machine...
  • this post gave me an idea of something I may try in the future...partially as a personal photography challenge
  • thanks in part to something Kate sent, and in part to finding a box of long forgotten cards/stationary when cleaning up my craft space...I've been thinking that I'd like to get back to letter writing with friends and family...as opposed to constant email communication. There is something more personal...more special...about that form of communication...and I think that without the 'instant' aspect of email, we consider and think more carefully about what we say. I feel like the transference of every emotion at the time we are feeling it through email has the potential to do more harm than good in a relationship. This post gave me an idea of a very cool, unique way to start.
  • l'm thinking this needs to make its way into my oven soon...or this?
  • I found this blog via Norma...with this post being the first I've read (how powerful and appropriate: "I think that religious freedom means that we have freedom for religion as well as freedom from religion"). Apparently there is controversy on whether the writer is an 82 year old woman but it doesn't matter to me...their voice needs to be heard.
  • pause after the urge...think before acting. He is talking about it with respect to food and exercise for the most part, but it applies to so many things in life beyond those things doesn't it? In particular, I'm thinking of knee-jerk emotional responses...so many angry things wouldn't be said if we took that pause.
  • these sound excellent and are actually healthy!
  • something to subscribe to?

Flickr Faves (highlighting photography from others):

1. my reader, 2. , 3. Feb 1: Me in action, 4. Untitled, 5. My Assistant (161 of 365), 6. Handspun yarn

So...what was your week like?

_ _ _ _ _

Now playing: They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! by Napoleon XIV & Jerry Samuels

(I've been reliving some songs from my childhood recently...and will refrain from linking to any youtube videos since the ones I saw associated with this song are, as expected, a little disturbing!)


.

10 comments:

Phoe said...

Nice to see you here again. Such a beautiful landscape to work in.

melissa said...

well there is a lot of good meat here to chew on... where to begin...
i'll start with ungulate of the week - wow! what a stunning photograph! gorgeous.
i've added that book to my list of things to check out, it sounds very interesting.
how fun to see lily reading away in your flickr favs - thanks for including it.
i'm sure there's more i'm forgetting to comment on... but i'll just say it's always lovely to peruse your posts and i'm glad the capture went well and i hope you have yourself a relaxing weekend!
take care

Jacey said...

They're coming to take me away, ha ha. They're coming to take me away. That's awesome. So great!

Hello! That picture of your recent trip is breathtaking. And that little kitty is adorable. There's me! Ha, I always feel like a rambling commenter on your Friday posts, but I guess that's sort of the point.

I'm glad you're working on your challenge! I started mine a few weeks ago, but left it at E's, and haven't touched it since. Hopefully, I'll be over there this weekend, and get a little knitting time!

I have to say I love citrus in other fruit desserts. I think it's because I don't have a super sweet tooth, so adding that tangy tartness is necessary for me. I love the Smitten Kitchen Blueberry Crumb Bars (although my fave is using blackberries, since I'm not a huge blueberry fan).

I'm happy to see you here!

Bubblesknits said...

lol My Mom and I would always sing that song when we were being silly out in public and people would start looking at us like we were crazy. :D

Mr. Puffy said...

You had an amazing week!!! So much inspiring you these days ~ it all sounds wonderful :) I have been enjoying a restful lull in work and yet can not seem to focus on anything, but at least I'm more relaxed and caught up on some TV shows!

kristieinbc said...

Welcome home! Thanks for another great Friday post. Those two cobbler recipes look so good! I have both frozen raspberries and frozen sour cherries, so will have to figure out a way to make a gluten-free biscuit topping and try them out this week.

Jane said...

I saw that you posted so I ran and refilled my coffee cup and settled down to read. I love all your links! Will be trying those squash chips and listening to some new music! Glad that you are doing well Rachel!

kate said...

Oh those recipes are cruel at lunchtime....

I recognize that cute reader!

There is nothing better some days than a really good, muddy walk. Glad you found time to fit one in.

Hope the next week is calmer.

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

A strenuous, muddy walk seems such a perfect way to work out life's frustrations. Nice go-to lunch! My week? Just home from a long weekend up north. Many walks through beautiful landscapes -- ocean, trees, rolling hills, cows, birds, deer... Good stuff.

Lindsey said...

I love cleaning my crafting space, too. The "emptiness" of it leave so much room for possibility. I admit that sometimes, though, I get frozen because I can't decide what do make. This often leads me back to whatever WIP I have on the needles instead.

Love your ungulate pics of the week. Making me jealous, no snow here. It's been such a messed up winter.