Technically not 3 weeks in review (and not technically Friday yet...minor details) since I did very little but work for at least half of that time! But here we go...
Making me happy this week:
getting to work in the Bitterroot Valley (a beautiful but very grueling place!)...a reunion of sorts with colleagues/friends during a capture at Mt. St. Helens...a strenuous, muddy walk with a friend working out life's frustrations...trying this week (and being successful for once) at taking things day to day and being present
Crafting: I took a much needed day off between captures and part of that day was spent cleaning my craft space up. It had become a disaster area. Organizing makes me happy but it also got some creative ideas flowing. I may not have time now to work on anything but I got a lot of ideas down on paper to remember when I do have more time.
I also cast off Stripe Study which is blocking as we speak...worked on a special knit...and made strides on a challenge with Jacey
In the Kitchen:
- tried this recipe as a Valentine dessert...J loved it so overall a win, but I was so-so about it. I'm a bit odd...I love citrus but on it's own. Lemon desserts are great but I don't tend to like the flavor mixed with berries. I almost didn't add in the zest knowing this but decided to stick to the recipe.
- made Heidi's Broccoli Gribiche from Super Natural Every Day. EXCELLENT (even though I didn't have shallots or capers on hands so didn't include those...and used red potatoes cuz that's what I had).
- My new go to lunch is quinoa topped with a fried egg and sauteed spinach with a sprinkling of parmesan...or quinoa topped with fried beans/chickpeas, sauteed spinach, jalapenos, and a sprinkling of parmesan. See a pattern anyone?
- found this song...try listening to it and not smiling! then go to this one by the same group (Mel has been keeping me in good music lately)...
- haven't been reading much...Mockingbird is slow to get through...picked up Strange As This Weather Has Been which was recommended to me by a guy I worked with. 'Enjoying' it so far (not exactly a pleasant topic but well written).
- a few decent movies...Queen to Play (Joueuse), Restless, Moneyball, 50/50
- re-watched a favorite
From the Mt. St. Helens capture--luckily the temperature had dropped below freezing...she was in a swamp and we would have been sinking down into inches of mud and water to get to her otherwise!
Around the web:
- ran into all kinds of inspiration this week to make me want to uncover my sewing machine...
- this post gave me an idea of something I may try in the future...partially as a personal photography challenge
- thanks in part to something Kate sent, and in part to finding a box of long forgotten cards/stationary when cleaning up my craft space...I've been thinking that I'd like to get back to letter writing with friends and family...as opposed to constant email communication. There is something more personal...more special...about that form of communication...and I think that without the 'instant' aspect of email, we consider and think more carefully about what we say. I feel like the transference of every emotion at the time we are feeling it through email has the potential to do more harm than good in a relationship. This post gave me an idea of a very cool, unique way to start.
- l'm thinking this needs to make its way into my oven soon...or this?
- I found this blog via Norma...with this post being the first I've read (how powerful and appropriate: "I think that religious freedom means that we have freedom for religion as well as freedom from religion"). Apparently there is controversy on whether the writer is an 82 year old woman but it doesn't matter to me...their voice needs to be heard.
- pause after the urge...think before acting. He is talking about it with respect to food and exercise for the most part, but it applies to so many things in life beyond those things doesn't it? In particular, I'm thinking of knee-jerk emotional responses...so many angry things wouldn't be said if we took that pause.
- these sound excellent and are actually healthy!
- something to subscribe to?
Flickr Faves (highlighting photography from others):
So...what was your week like?_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! by Napoleon XIV & Jerry Samuels
(I've been reliving some songs from my childhood recently...and will refrain from linking to any youtube videos since the ones I saw associated with this song are, as expected, a little disturbing!)