I've been away in the field all week so didn't get a Friday review post up. It'll be back next week! Until then, how about a finished object? This one has been done for over a month but I didn't have time to block and then photograph it until now.
Some of you may remember that in December, a group of knitting folks started a small Stripe Study KAL. I'm not sure who all ended up joining but I think Rue, Jacey, Phoe, Lauren, and Erin were the original members (the links go to either their finished projects blog post or their ravelry page for that project...go visit and see other cool color combinations!). I had wanted to knit that pattern for awhile but didn't have time right before the holidays to 'formally' join in on a KAL. Then Xmas day came and went and all my hand-made gifts were finished and gifted...and I was able to start something for myself again. Since I 'conveniently' got some yarn for Xmas in 'conveniently' the right amounts/colors for Stripe Study, I cast on following our family breakfast. And as with everyone who knits this pattern, I was addicted immediately.
I knit this not really knowing if I would wear it. Triangle shawls...either lace or otherwise...sort of baffle me in terms of wearing them. I don't mind that...the pattern was interesting, addicting, and I knew when I finished it that if I wouldn't wear it, someone I knew would. One day I may not approach knitting that way but for now, I'm more of a process knitter than a product knitter. And the process of knitting this shawl with this yarn was very enjoyable. Wraps and turns, coupled with increases, may seem like a very simple design element but not one I had done before. It fascinated me to watch the stripes and shawl grow. Perhaps I'm just easily amused but I'm okay with that!
In the end, I love this shawl. The Madelinetosh Merino Light is incredibly soft, the colors amazing (I didn't take the time to try and really capture the colors [and it would have been hard given the dark, gloomy day] but they are so rich in real life), and I find myself wanting to wear this. Most likely it will be worn as sort of a cowl/scaff rather than a shawl, but it works both ways.
And even the back is pretty cool...so while not technically reversible, I think it could be worn with front or back showing.
As usual, notes are on my project page. However, for those not connected to Ravelry and for anyone using this yarn: I did 11 full stripes and weighed the last two stripes to make sure I had enough for each complete stripe. I had 55 grams going into stripe 10…stripe 10 took 18 grams, stripe 11 took 21 grams…which left 16 grams (not enough for a full 12th stripe). I didn’t particularly care for making the last stripe a partial one…for me, it interferes with the balance of the shawl. So I left it with 11 full stripes. With these calculations, it seems like 440 yards of the main color, as the pattern indicated, may not be quite enough for the full 12 stripes. For the contrast color (light grey in mine), 440 yards is just about perfect (I had 6 grams left…if I had done a twelfth stripe, most of that would have been used up in the rows between stripe 11 and 12).
This was the first Veera Valimaki design I've knit but most definitely will not be my last. She is an incredibly talented designer and I have at least a few of her sweaters on my knitting horizon!
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Till Kingdom Come by Coldplay