Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday: A Week in Review

Making me happy this week:

a visit with my family in Seattle (Julian gets cuter every day I think)...getting part II of a custom dye order (oh, the possibilities..and finally I have in my possession the perfect red laceweight)...3(!) pain-free nights of rest (I tore a pelvic ligament somehow months ago...the only time I feel pain is when lying down but it is excruciating...the sweet luxury of even 1 pain-free night is enough to improve my mood)...my first issue of Taproot arrived and I have been loving reading bits and pieces here and there.

Crafting:

Worked on a new cowl to test my hand-dyed skein...dyed some more yarn (a more detailed post on all this coming in a few days)...started a dishcloth for a friend...after a bit of a lull, enjoyed the comfort of having my camera in my hands more and more frequently...

In the Kitchen:
After I've been traveling a lot and eating horribly for days, I tend to approach food and cooking differently the first week or two after being back home. I crave simple, familiar, healthy. I don't want to try complicated recipes. I want to have meals that only consist of a few ingredients that I've made time and time again...like:

  • baked salmon with roasted broccoli and Heidi's white beans and cabbage
  • baked pork chops topped with caramelized onions, paired with roasted brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil and salt
  • a simple, yet satisfying alfredo with chicken, spinach, and mushrooms
  • and of course...huckleberry pie
Reading/Listening/Watching:
  • we've been working through MI-5 for years now, enjoying every minute of it. The series was canceled last fall after 10 seasons. We have 7 more episodes before we are finished and so we took a break to spread them out longer. This weekend we continued on and couldn't help ourselves...we watched 2 episodes and I had to be strong to not watch a third. That show is addicting...
  • a new to me group shared via kristy....started with this song and then fell down a rabbit hole exploring others
  • a movie recommended by a friend...it was entertaining and I liked the tidbits of information about birds spread throughout
Ungulate of the Week:

This week, I decided to introduce one of our girls. This is a sad introduction because we lost her right at the start of the new year. But she was a special animal (as they all are) and I felt like sharing her beautiful face in memory...Meet Curly. She was one of our biggest animals...quite nervous with everybody but me. I slowly gained her trust many years ago, and was able to use her in our research. She died at age 18.5 of bladder cancer.

Around the web:

Flickr Faves (highlighting inspiring photography from others):

1. letter wirting, 2. Orange leaf, 3. fern moss?, 4. Cassius Clay, 5. Bubbles, 6. *, 7. 櫻朦朧 Cherry Blossoms Blur, Taichung, 8. Some trees in the mist

So...what was your week like?

_ _ _ _ _

Now playing: Tusk by Fleetwood Mac

.

7 comments:

cauchy09 said...

as always, this is a great inspirational link round-up. thanks!

i've watched a few MI-5 episodes, but seem to be saving them to savor somehow. good to know that that's the right thing to do.

melissa said...

oh i so enjoy these roundup posts!
i think you and i have very similar tastes in music. thank you for the links to the wooden sky.

and thank you for the introduction to curly. she is beautiful, and i'm sure it was hard to say goodbye to her.

and oh that picture of julian - he is such a handsome little fella!

hope you have a good weekend friend!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Julian does seem to be getting cuter every day. I truly hope your pain free nights continue. Taproot looks super cool. Thanks for the introduction. I like Owen Wilson and Steve Martin, birds...entertainment...so perhaps I'll like The Big Year. I saw and really liked that soulshine link in your pins. My week was pretty good. I've been trying to walk by the water at sunset. It's a nice way to wind down a day. I skipped yesterday and wonder if it's why my mood has been off this morning... Back on track tonight.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What a beautiful boy!!! Lovely pictures all around in this post ~ glad you have your camera back in your hands :) I sympathize with your inability to sleep. I've had a week of poison oak on my inner thighs (Simcha rubs it off on me) and haven't slept a wink. I'm so grouchy - LOL Can't wait to see what you are going to make with your special order of yarn!

kate said...

He's getting big and so handsome!

How long do elk usually live? I profess complete ignorance.

Lovely collection of thoughts, as always. Hope the pain free nights continue.

We have sunshine this week-end, it may be impossible to resist the call of the soil in my garden....

kristieinbc said...

I meant to comment about huckleberry pie in your last post. I absolutely love huckleberry pie! Actually I love huckleberry anything. I especially love eating handfuls of just picked berries on a hot summer's day. The only thing I like better than huckleberry pie is a huckleberry raspberry pie. The combination of those two fruits is amazing! I try to buy a gallon or two of huckleberries in the summer when I am visiting my mom in Spokane.

I am also an MI-5 fan. I have watched through season 8 so far, and hadn't realized the show had been canceled.

Jacey said...

I remember you telling me about Curly. She was beautiful, and I'm glad you were able to spend the time with her that you did.

Julian is so adorable. I love that picture. His cheeks look so chubby and perfect!

I also loved the "need to make" post. It rang true with me.

It was so sweet of you to pass on your sticker collection! I wasn't so great about "keeping", but instead used them up when I was a kid. Oh, Lisa Frank.

I hope your weekend was lovely, and I hope to catch up with you soon!